Pages

Translate

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Chapter 1: Decisions

Should i leave her to die?

I look down at her bruised, tired, unconscious body.

I hadn't had a woman in a long time.

Oasis is far away and I am too weak and dehydrated to carry her. Dark is coming and the giant radscorpions would be on the prowl, along with slavers, mutants, and goddess knows what else.

"Bless you. May the sands of time take you to oasis."

The traditional prayer whispered on tired lips.

I had heard of others in situations like this

they always ended badly.

I put my gun to her head, turn away and fire.

I check her pulse, just to make sure.

I cry.

I set off into the evening twilight, wondering about what i had done. what i had to do.

The wastes. The heat. The death. You lose your humanity in the end.

I gather what senses i had left and disappear into the darkness.

At least, I console myself, she is at peace, and hadn't died at the hands of someone less than human.

I wipe the tears from my eyes.  There were none.

Welcome to the wasteland.

No comments:

Post a Comment